Heraldic Maclean insignia carved in relief but the inscriptions are illegible.
There is a shield which is charged quarterly according to the RCAHMS as follows but is very hard to decipher now.
1st lion rampant
2nd castle standing on a rock
3rd a galley sail furled
4th 2 birds ? eagle
Underneath the insignia is a skull & crossbones
This slab was not found while mapping the site but is presence has been recorded previously by Erskine Beveridge.
A tapered slab with a border of nail head design between 2 plain mouldings. This is then subdivided into three panels. The first being a space for a small inscription at the top ,the third a small space again showing a casket at the bottom of the stone. In the middle section, which is a long large panel, there is a woman standing in a triangular-headed niche holding a rosary. Below her are two inverted animals then a overall pattern of intertwining foliage finishing with a pair of shears.
This has not been found but the description has been taken from Erskine Beveridge’s book “ Coll and Tiree” 1903.
HIC IACET M(AGISTER) FERCHARD(VS)
(FRASER DECAN (VS)
INSVLAR(VM) QVI OBIT 14 DIE FRB(RVARII) ANNO DOMNI 1680
AET (ATIS 74)
Here lies Mr Farquhar Fraser ,Dean of the Isles who died on 14th February 1680 aged 74.
The stone is divided into two panels .
The top panel has a long illegible inscription which the RCAHMS in the 1970’s identified as the epitaph in four elegiac couplets composed by John Fraser who succeeded his father as minister of Tiree and Dean of the Isles. This form of rhyme was popular among the educated classes for gravestone epitaphs at this time
The bottom half has a symmetrical intertwined leaf design.
DIED 25TH 0F OCTr 1885
AGED 81 YEARS
ALSO CATHERINE McLEAN
HIS WIFE WHO DIED AT GLASGOW,25TH FEBy 1900
AGED 85 YEARS.
ALSO THEIR DAUGHTER
BELOVED WIFE OF
CAPTAIN JOHN BRODIE
WHO DIED 18TH OCTr 1923
AGED 69 YEARS.
“UNTIL THE DAY DAWN”
Military Notes: Captain John Brodie
WHO DIES 27TH NOV 1816 AGED 90 YEARS
ALSO HIS SPOUSE JANNET WHO
DIED 19TH FEB 1816 AGED 71/91 YEARS
ERECTED BY THEIR SON
IN REMEBRANCE OF DUTIFUL AND
Allan who erected the stone was a well to do man. He lived in Scarinish and for many years had tenancy of the Scarinish Hotel. Allan ferried rocks from Mull for 7 years, for the Skerryvore Lighthouse so would have met and possibly knew the stonemasons who may have made this stone for him as it has a style of the stonemasons stones that can be seen at Soroby.
Skerryvore was built in the 1840’s so if these dates of death are correct, and they may not be as they are very hard to read this stone was erected at least 20 years after his parents death.