TO THE MEMORY OF THE
REV.D NEIL MACLEAN MA
WHO DIED ON THE 26TH OF AUGUST 1858
75TH YEAR OF HIS AGE
AND THE 49TH OF HIS INCUMBANCY
AS MINISTER OF
TYREE AND COLL
IS ERECTED BY HIS THREE DAUGHTERS
AS A TRIBUTE TO HIS WORTH AND TOKEN
AND TOKEN OF THEIR DEEP AND LASTING AFFECTION
Notes: Rev Minister of the Church of Scotland
Notes: A tapered slab with a double plain moulding. There is a label at the top for an inscription no longer visible followed by a foliated cross and a sword flanked by plant scrolls. The sword has a lobated pommel and inclined quillions.
This stone has a crack across the middle and is not easy to find if vegetation is long.
A table top of sandstone with a coat of arms at the top of the stone.
The shield is charged: quarterly .1st and 4th gyronny of eight; 2nd possibly a boars head but much weathered ; 3rd a galley;
On top of the shield is a helmet and which has above it a dexter hand holding a lance bend ways
Below the coat of arms is a skull and cross bones with a timer on the left had side and a trumpet on the right.
The inscription below is illegible but the RCAHMS survey done in the 1970’s suggests it commemorates a John Campbell, a cadet of Lochnell and his wife. Thought to be from the first half of the 18th century.
In a song composed by Archibald MacPhail about the turn of the century he eulogies the factor Donald Campbell and his two sons Duncan and Archibald who were both destined to die in the Napoleonic wars .
One of the lines translates as “ Lochnell of old was your stock and the Duke of Argyll too”
Tiree Bards and their bardach page 7
Was this one of the first Campbell tacksmen in Tiree?
Notes: Lying on the ground and easily moved, a piece of slate with holes that look like it could have had lead lettering fixed to it
FINGONIVS PRIOR DE Y ME DEDID
PHILIPPO IOHANNIS ET SVIS FILIIS
ANNO DOMINI M°CCCC°XCV°
Tapered slab with bevelled edge, 1.79m long by 0.48m wide at the head.
Below a foliated cross and flanked by plant scrolls is a two handed sword of the type known as a claymore. The quillons end in quatrefoil and there are slight traces of decoration on the scabbard. The incised inscription runs up the right hand bevel and finishes on the upper edge of the stone.
This stone has the earliest known representation of a claymore.
(Monumental Sculpture by Steer & Bannerman)
Translation“Prior of Iona, gave me to Philippus son of John, and to his sons in the year of Our Lord 1495”
This slab was not found while mapping the site but is presence has been recorded previously by Erskine Beveridge.
A tapered slab with a border of nail head design between 2 plain mouldings. This is then subdivided into three panels. The first being a space for a small inscription at the top ,the third a small space again showing a casket at the bottom of the stone. In the middle section, which is a long large panel, there is a woman standing in a triangular-headed niche holding a rosary. Below her are two inverted animals then a overall pattern of intertwining foliage finishing with a pair of shears.
This has not been found but the description has been taken from Erskine Beveridge’s book “ Coll and Tiree” 1903.
HIC IACET M(AGISTER) FERCHARD(VS)
(FRASER DECAN (VS)
INSVLAR(VM) QVI OBIT 14 DIE FRB(RVARII) ANNO DOMNI 1680
AET (ATIS 74)
Here lies Mr Farquhar Fraser ,Dean of the Isles who died on 14th February 1680 aged 74.
The stone is divided into two panels .
The top panel has a long illegible inscription which the RCAHMS in the 1970’s identified as the epitaph in four elegiac couplets composed by John Fraser who succeeded his father as minister of Tiree and Dean of the Isles. This form of rhyme was popular among the educated classes for gravestone epitaphs at this time
The bottom half has a symmetrical intertwined leaf design.