TO THE MEMORY OF THE
REV.D NEIL MACLEAN MA
WHO DIED ON THE 26TH OF AUGUST 1858
75TH YEAR OF HIS AGE
AND THE 49TH OF HIS INCUMBANCY
AS MINISTER OF
TYREE AND COLL
IS ERECTED BY HIS THREE DAUGHTERS
AS A TRIBUTE TO HIS WORTH AND TOKEN
AND TOKEN OF THEIR DEEP AND LASTING AFFECTION
Heraldic Maclean insignia carved in relief but the inscription is illegible.
There is a shield which is charged quarterly
1st lion rampant
2nd castle standing on a rock
3rd a galley sail furled
4th 2 birds ? eagle
Most probably across the top was inscribed Altera Merces which translates as “Other Reward” or “Reward is Secondary” but is now illegible.
Possibly this one is the one noted by Beveridge* with the name Hector Maclean Minister of Coll and was to the memory of his son.
Traces of letters can be seen on this table top more clearly than ST 002 so it might have been legible when Beveridge recorded it.
* Coll & Tiree ,Bevridge 190
This stone has a crack across the middle and is not easy to find if vegetation is long.
A table top of sandstone with a coat of arms at the top of the stone.
The shield is charged: quarterly .1st and 4th gyronny of eight; 2nd possibly a boars head but much weathered ; 3rd a galley;
On top of the shield is a helmet and which has above it a dexter hand holding a lance bend ways
Below the coat of arms is a skull and cross bones with a timer on the left had side and a trumpet on the right.
The inscription below is illegible but the RCAHMS survey done in the 1970’s suggests it commemorates a John Campbell, a cadet of Lochnell and his wife. Thought to be from the first half of the 18th century.
In a song composed by Archibald MacPhail about the turn of the century he eulogies the factor Donald Campbell and his two sons Duncan and Archibald who were both destined to die in the Napoleonic wars .
One of the lines translates as “ Lochnell of old was your stock and the Duke of Argyll too”
Tiree Bards and their bardach page 7
Was this one of the first Campbell tacksmen in Tiree?
Tapered slab with bevelled edge, 1.79m long by 0.48m wide at the head.
Below a foliated cross and flanked by plant scrolls is a two handed sword of the type known as a claymore. The quillons end in quatrefoil and there are slight traces of decoration on the scabbard. The incised inscription runs up the right hand bevel and finishes on the upper edge of the stone.
This stone has the earliest known representation of a claymore.
(Monumental Sculpture by Steer & Bannerman)
Translation“Prior of Iona, gave me to Philippus son of John, and to his sons in the year of Our Lord 1495”